Effective: August 30, 2011
SD’s Privacy Commitment
“Account Information” means Personal Information that we may collect during your registration for a service provided by us or the purchase of a product, including your name, e-mail address and e-mail preferences, password for your account, mailing address, billing address, and credit card information that enables us to receive your payment. In cases where your service subscription relates to maritime or aero usage, we will also request information about the vessel or aircraft, including the name, call sign, country of registry, type and MMSI of your vessel; and, tail number, country of registry, manufacturer, model and fuselage/airframe number of your aircraft.
“Contact Information” means information that allows someone to identify or contact you, including, for example, your name, address, telephone number, and email address.
“Personal Information” is any information about you that is associated with or linked to your Contact Information.
“Anonymous Information” means information that is not associated with or linked to your Contact Information; Anonymous Information does not permit the identification of individual persons.
Personal Information You Provide to Us
When you register for a service provided by us or purchase a product, we collect your Account Information. In addition, depending on the service, we may collect your flying preference information, including the type of plane you own or prefer and your flying frequency. When you leave us feedback, we will collect any information that is contained in your feedback. When you contact us by sending us an e-mail, fax, or letter, we will collect your address, fax number, or e-mail address and any information contained in the e-mail, fax, or letter you send us.
Personal Information Collected via Technology
As you use these websites, certain information may also be collected passively, including your Internet protocol address, browser type, and operating system. We may also store a small text file called a “Cookie” on your computer to store certain information about you and your activities on the websites. We may use both session Cookies (which expire once you close your web browser) and persistent Cookies (which stay on your computer until you delete them). If you register for a service provided by us, we may include web beacons with the content and ads that we deliver to you as a part of that service, which we use to collect information regarding your interaction with such content and ads.
Personal Information from Other Sources
We may receive Personal Information about you from other third party sources. We may associate this information with the other Personal Information we have collected about you.
Collecting Information Helps Us Serve You Better
SD may use your Personal Information for a variety of purposes, such as:
- To establish and maintain responsible customer relationships, including keeping records of the relationship in order to facilitate timely and accurate invoicing and to administer our billing and accounting systems;
- To answer any billing, account or technical enquiries from our customer base; To activate, de-activate, suspend, un-suspend, bar or un-bar your satellite terminal;
- To establish and maintain supplier relationships to support the acquisition of communications products and services required for the delivery and provision of SD’ products and services;
- To deliver products to our customers;
- To make credit approvals and related practices such as monitoring customer payment histories, evaluating customer credit standing and exchanging credit information with credit reporting agencies and bureaus as required;
- To measure and improve the effectiveness of our web sites or marketing efforts;
- To communicate with our customers about additional SD products and services that may be of interest to them or to send other special interest customer communications;
- To provide you with accurate and high quality customer service, including responding to customer inquiries and troubleshooting;
- To research and develop new products, services or programs to better serve the needs of our customers; and,
- To meet legal and regulatory requirements.
We may create Anonymous Information records from Personal Information by excluding Contact Information (which makes the information personally identifiable to you). We reserve the right to use and disclose Anonymous Information at our discretion.
Disclosing Your Personal Information to Third Parties
It is our policy not to share Personal Information outside of the SD family. However, there are instances where we are reasonably required to share your information with a third party to assist us in providing services or products or for other legitimate business purposes provided that disclosure is made on a confidential basis. Such third parties include:
- Agents acting on behalf of SD, such as our authorized SD Dealers or Distributors, or companies hired to perform installations, maintenance, warranty work, or billing functions.
- A person who in the reasonable judgment of SD is acting as an agent of Customer.
- Other communications service providers or commissioning entities, in order to provide efficient and effective communication services (e.g., to terminate a satellite call on a terrestrial line or to activate, de-activate, suspend, un-suspend, bar or un-bar service on your satellite terminal);
- Companies providing services to your aircraft’s satellite communication system including the manufacturer, installation and repair centers, and trip planners.
- Delivery companies, in order to deliver our products to our customers;
- Credit card companies, in order to validate and process a credit card transaction;
- Credit bureaus and credit references that you provide in order to responsibly manage our credit relationship with you;
- Information Technology or other professional consultants in order to improve our systems and processes;
- Other companies and professional advisors in conjunction with an amalgamation or sale of corporate assets or interests; and,
- As may otherwise be required by local and foreign law, as applicable.
We will use reasonable efforts, using contractual or other arrangements, to ensure that third parties use your Personal Information in a manner that is consistent with this policy. Should you not wish us to disclose your Personal Information to these third parties, we may be unable to process your application or transaction, communicate with you about products that may be of interest to you, or provide other benefits.
As well, there are special circumstances where we may disclose your Personal Information without your consent or knowledge. These situations include where information is forwarded to a collection agency for the collection of past due bills, where it would be reasonably in the best interest of an individual but where consent cannot be obtained in a timely manner; where the life, health or security of an individual is threatened or otherwise at risk; where the purpose is related to the detection or prevention of fraud or for law enforcement; where disclosure is to our legal counsel; or as may otherwise be required by law.
Third Party Content and Ads
If you register for a service provided by us, we may enable certain third parties to deliver content and ads on the Site. These third parties may collect (via tracking technologies like cookies or web beacons) and use Anonymous Information regarding your interaction with the content or ads that they deliver and with which you interact.
Law Enforcement Compliance
If you have registered for a service provided by us, we may be required by law, or by law enforcement officers acting under the color of law, to record some or all of your communications on or through that service. We may, and you hereby authorize us to, disclose your Personal Information (including your Account Information) and your communications through that service, if required by law or by law enforcement officers acting under the color of law, or if we believe in good faith that such disclosure is necessary to: (a) comply with relevant laws or to respond to subpoenas or warrants served on us; or (b) to protect or defend the rights, property, or safety of SD, you, other users, or third parties (especially in emergency situations).
Your Choices Regarding Your Personal Information
We offer you choices regarding the collection, use, and sharing of your Personal Information. When you receive promotional communications from us, you may indicate a preference to stop receiving further promotional communications from us and you will have the opportunity to “opt-out” by following the unsubscribe instructions provided in the promotional e-mail you receive or by contacting us directly (please see contact information below).
You may request deletion of your Account or Personal Information by us, but please note that we may be required (by law or otherwise) to keep this information and not delete it (or to keep this information for a certain time, in which case we will comply with your deletion request, only after we have fulfilled such requirements). When we delete Personal Information, it will be deleted from the active database, but may remain in our archives.
We do not intentionally gather Personal Information from people who are under the age of 18. If you are under the age of 18, do not submit any Personal Information on this website.
Disclosing Your Personal Information Amongst SD’s Affiliates
In order to effectively and efficiently continue operations, Personal Information that you provide to a SD affiliate is shared amongst the other companies within the SD family.
Our Commitment to Maintaining Your Privacy
We take all necessary precautions to safeguard the privacy of your Personal Information, whether it is stored electronically or in paper format. Your information is maintained in secure facilities, protected from unauthorized access, and retained only as long as is reasonably required. Electronic files are backed up for redundancy and password protected to ensure access only by authorized employees.
Although we cannot take responsibility for any theft, misuse, unauthorized disclosure, loss, alteration or destruction of data by a third party, we take reasonable precautions to prevent such unfortunate occurrences.
How Can I Contact SD?
Should you have any questions, concerns or complaints about our privacy policies, please contact:
Satcom Direct, Inc.®
1050 Satcom Lane
Melbourne, FL 32940, USA
We will respond to your request or investigate your concern as quickly as possible.
To accommodate changes in our business, products, services, technology, and legal developments, we may add, change, or remove portions of the policy as we feel it is appropriate to do so. Updated policies will be posted to our web site at www.satcomdirect.com. Please refer to the date on the policy and check back for updates.